Saturday, June 16, 2018

GreenWorks MO40L410 Review



 ---To start out with --- let me explain what I bought, I bought the 20" GreenWorks lawn mower (the one that comes with one 4AH battery). The fact that I have to clarify is annoying and more on this later.. This one appears to be a newer version of the 19" (but still brushless) that came before.
 

On to the GreenWorks mo40l410 review

This GreenWorks mo40l410 is pretty awesome. I was a bit nervous cause there were so few reviews on it. I previously had and loved the brushed corded 16" lawn mower from GreenWorks... it worked so well that I decided to untether myself for my birthday. I was convinced after the corded electric lawn mower worked flawlessly and my 40v GreenWorks brushless weed eater worked so well.

So the mower went on sale on Prime Day and I jumped on it. First impressions are that the design engineers are clearly continuing improvements. The handle could fold on my corded lawn mower, but nowhere near as easily as this GreenWorks mo40l410 can... I don't even like this feature and wouldn't use it regularly, but I can still appreciate the improvements that other people may use. The battery bay holds two batteries... but here's the kicker, I mowed some tall thick St. Augustine grass and finished the front yard you see in my images with a single battery... I suspect that as the blade gets a bit duller i'll need to swap batteries or sharpen the blade again. But that was a pleasant surprise.

I also really like the large wheels of the GreenWorks mo40l410, the longer radius makes maneuverability a charm and it gets over bumps with ease. The bagging of blades works well too even though I only tested it momentarily (I've switched to mulching cause there's no need to strip the lawn of future nutrients). I haven't figured out what the side discharger is for exactly, but it looks pretty cool. Like an exhaust pipe on a racecar or something. The way I see it, you want to pick up the clippings or you want to spread them around the lawn... not spray the area you just mowed or are about to mow. But it just clicks into place if you want it and I appreciate them adding it, even if it raised the cost by a dollar or something.

The auto sensing lawn height feature is okay. I give it only 3 stars out of 5. It certainly works, but it kicks in about 2 seconds (or about 2 feet ) after you technically needed it. It's like the sensor or Ammeter has to measure taller grass for a few seconds before it kicks in. But by then your moving past that spot and might have missed a few clippings. It hasn't happened yet, but again, the blade is new and sharp. It would have been neater to have a sensor adjust on the fly up or down. It's all electric and the motor is brushless, there shouldn't be much wear and tear from constantly increasing and decreasing the motor speed to accommodate the lawn at that moment. Now, all this said, even on low speed the GreenWorks mo40l410 was cutting like a champ. I would walk slowly and then quickly while the lawn mower was on the lowest setting to see if it changed performance, and it was virtually the same.

All in all it functions exactly like you'd expect it to. I like the dual bay battery compartment. And the attention to details all over, like the cable runs have loops to pass through, the battery bay door has magnets to keep it shut, and details like that are visible all over, it's just very well thought out.

If I'm being extremely nitpicky, here are some things I'd change (aside from the auto-motor-speed change I mentioned above).


1) Amazon listing... I almost knocked a star because whoever is putting these things on Amazon has no clue what they are doing. I see random mowers paired with un-related mowers, yet the reviews are for both? And I don't see all the options on the same listing. For example, this GreenWorks mo40l410 lawn mower bounced around between listings multiple times in like 3 days. And this lawn mower has another listing identical to it, just without the battery and charger (the one I'm reviewing here)... yet somehow they aren't paired together? And it's not exactly clear how this GreenWorks lawn mower differs from the older version other than it's maybe a newer model? Is it better or worse?... it's a complete freaking mess and I'm extremely annoyed. But it's not actually the products fault... so I convinced myself to keep the star. Get your blank together.


2) The battery bay door doesn't open very far. In fact it doesn't even open to 90 degrees, I'd like it to go to 120 at least.


3) The lifter is on point. It's so easy and works so well. But it's fastened to the right side of the Greenworks mo40l410 or something and the left side is just a taddd looser. Even though it has zero impact on performance or usability or comfort. I could notice.


4) I promise I'm not too lazy to bend over and swap batteries. But two live ports would be neat (even though I had plenty of battery left on the first battery haha (like I said, nitpicking!)). But I wouldn't be willing to pay much more if it raised the cost alot.

The Pros:


1) I can't believe how easy it is to adjust. I have their corded GreenWorks mo40l410 mower and I didn't think it could get any easier... and here I am being proven wrong. I don't know if I was just scarred by my old gas honda lawn mower or what, but that thing was an absolute pain to change the deck height. I used it alot on my corded version because if I'm going to be busy the next two weeks, I can just drop it a notch an go an extra couple days without mowing. Or If I know I'm going on a 2 week vacation next weekend, I can raise it since I'm going to mow again right before I leave.
 

2) I knew the big wheels would help, but they help more than I thought. I hope they last as long as short wheels, since the moment is higher on them in general. But I'm glad they upgraded the wheels.
 

3) 20" deck means a 19" inch blade iirc. I appreciate the large mowing swath. Not only did mowing go faster cause I wasn't messing with a cord, but I was cutting larger swaths than my old corded 16" lawn mower, so I was done in like 40% of the time that it normally takes me.

4) The 4Ah batteries are great. I can weedeat the front in one go with it. and then use the other battery to mow in one go with it. And they charge so fast too. Not that I've needed them to come off the charger and go straight to the yard, but it's nice having that option.


5) It's silly but the black with green trim color scheme looks legit. I like it better than the opposite that my corded lawn mower has. (green with black trim).


6) Also, it mows evenly forward and backwards. My old GreenWorks mo40l410 lawn mower mowed about a third of an inch shorter when I pushed it forward than when I pulled it back (ostensibly because it was too light). So not only was I goofing around with the cord. But all even mowing had to be completed forwards. Not an issue with this Greenworks lawn mower.

Overall I'm thoroughly satisfied with the GreenWorks mo40l410. I'll comment back if longevity is ever an issue. But I expect a minimum of 5 years out of this guy... and I'd prefer if it was more like 10. That said, I'll cut the batteries some slack. I expect I'll buy a new pair in about 5 years to help me get to the EOL. They claim 2000 charges and I mow like once every 10 days during the summer... So maybe they'll go the full 10.


Rating: 5/5

No comments: